Under 16s Coaches Report

Sponsored by Dr Jones and Partners

Grand Final information

West Adelaide v Glenelg Sunday May 5th @ 11am at City Mazda Stadium


Coaches Report

Having finished first on the ladder, the West Adelaide U16’s team earned the right to play our first final at home against Norwood who had finished 4th

In the other final, South Adelaide played off against Glenelg, with the winners of these two games ultimately playing off in the Grand Final.

We made six changes coming into this match with the aim to settle the side after having significant team changes for the last few weeks.

We began exceptionally well kicking the first 4 goals in 10 minutes and it appeared we were switched on and moving well. Norwood settled and through some quick forward entries managed to scramble a few goals against the flow of play.

We continued some strong attacking football and finished the quarter 6.0 to 3.0 with accurate kicking in front of goal by both sides.

We knew finals football would always bring a different level of pressure and Norwood played a strong 2nd quarter keeping us goalless but only kicking 1 goal themselves. We led into the main break 6.2 to 4.1 but I was concerned with us being down in clearances and first possessions despite being higher in tackles, showing us we were 2nd to the ball.

We struggled in the 3rd quarter with panic and poor decision making coming into our game. Norwood out played us and started to the impact on the scoreboard and took the lead late in the quarter kicking 4.3 to our 1.1. The three quarter time break couldn’t have come quick enough as we trailed 7.3 to 8.4 and needing to find something special.

We needed to focus and compose ourselves and our three quarter time chat was exactly about that. I knew the belief in this team was enormous but our strength of character was going to be truly tested.

The last quarter was a courageous display with us responding early. Norwood refused to concede control and kicked a goal to maintain the 7 point lead.

It wasn’t until midway through the quarter that we managed to finally get some clean football as we kicked 3 goals in 4 minutes to take the lead by 11 points with 7 minutes to go.

To Norwood’s credit they kept coming and with a couple of minutes to go closed to 3 points.

We desperately held on to win the game and secure a place in a Grand Final against Glenelg.

I am exceptionally proud of this group and the way they composed themselves and responded when they were tested. They deserve to have the opportunity to play off in the Grand Final and I look forward to seeing how they handle this opportunity.