SANFL is pleased to announce that SANFL Clubs have been granted approval from SA Health to have crowds of more than 1000 at its venues, effective from this weekend.
After planning for spectator numbers capped at 1000 for this weekend, SANFL was advised by SA Health late yesterday that Covid management plans had been approved for Clubs hosting home matches in Round 5 of the Statewide Super League this weekend – Central District, Glenelg, South Adelaide and Sturt.
Under the Covid management plans, the one person per two square metre density rule will apply, which means ground capacity will vary for each venue, but will allow for at least 3000 spectators.
SANFL Chief Executive Officer Jake Parkinson said that given the late notice, it was challenging for home clubs to implement all protocols under the management plan and ensure there was adequate staffing, food and beverage to accommodate larger crowds this weekend.
Supporters should therefore check home Club websites for information on venue capacity and match day entry.
Mr Parkinson said although it was unexpected for matches this week, he thanked SA Health for working through the Covid management plans as soon as possible.
He said the clubs were pleased to be able to welcome back their loyal members and supporters to SANFL Statewide Super League footy this weekend.
“It’s hard to believe that only two months ago we were uncertain about whether or not a season would be held and thought we could quite likely have a season with no crowds,” Mr Parkinson said.
“This is a great reward for our Clubs and their hard-working volunteers, and footy supporters in South Australia.
“We’re delighted to be able to have greater crowds back at suburban grounds which are part of the fabric of local SANFL footy.”
Mr Parkinson said management plans submitted by North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide also have been approved, with Woodville-West Torrens in the final consultation phase.
He said each Club’s comprehensive management plan was varied according to the specific facilities at the venue and that he anticipated Woodville-West Torrens would have approval next week, prior to its next home match day on August 1.
For venues who are operating under Covid management plans this weekend, the following match entry details will apply:
Mr Parkinson said the stringent protocols and regulatory requirements for social distancing, hygiene and transmission tracing within the Covid management plans would help mitigate the risk of spread of Covid-19.
However, he emphasised the importance of every individual supporter to do the right thing, including social distancing, washing hands and staying at home if unwell.
“As we’ve seen interstate, the nature of this virus means our situation can change very rapidly so we must not be complacent,” he said.
“We are privileged to have football back being played with crowds but everyone must play their part in keeping participants, fans and the broader community safe while we are still in a pandemic.”
SATURDAY, JULY 25
Glenelg v Woodville-West Torrens | 2:05pm | ACH Group Stadium | LIVE and FREE on Channel 7 & 7plus
Central District v North Adelaide | 2:10pm | X Convenience Oval | SANFL Digital Pass
South Adelaide v West Adelaide | 2:10pm | Flinders University Stadium | SANFL Digital Pass
SUNDAY, JULY 26
Sturt v Norwood | 2:10pm | Peter Motley Oval | 1629 SEN & SEN App | SANFL Digital Pass