Match Report

Reserves Match Report – Round 2 vs Glenelg

After a good win in round 1, we knew that Glenelg was going to be another step up in intensity.

We knew that Glenelg play a hard running handball game from the back half so if we came with a really strong pressure game and press then we would be able to win the ball back in dangerous positions, unfortunately for the first quarter and a half our work rate was not where we would have liked it to be which allowed Glenelg to move the ball comfortably from one end to the other and jump out to a 27 point lead half way through the second qtr.

There were signs late in the second quarter that we were starting to lift our work rate and hold the ball in our forward half which allowed our mids and backs to set up better behind the ball.

Part of our Creed this season is “Team First” which is knowing your role / playing your role. I felt that we let ourselves down in this area in the first half and we addressed this at half time and made sure we were all on the same page leading into the second half.

After half time we got back to playing our brand of football for longer and started to play the game in our half for longer. We set up better behind the ball and did not allow Glenelg the freedom to move the ball as they had in the first half.

Unfortunately, we were coming from too far back and just fell short by 9 points.

New Recruit Dylan Bramich worked tirelessly in the ruck and forward all day and threw his body into every contest. Jordan Boyle showed great leadership all game and was a big part of why we set up better and used the ball better in the second half. And Nick Steele backed up his solid round 1 game with another impressive performance working up and down the ground all day and playing his role for 4 qtrs.

We will take some really good learnings from our first half performance and go to work on the track to make sure we are ready to go from the start against South Adelaide in a fortnight.

Daimon Head – Reserves Coach