Author: Zac Milbank: Chief SANFL Writer
David Shipway has passionately dedicated himself to football in South Australia for more than three decades.
And while the tireless Shipway’s involvement in the game has come to an official end, his legacy will be forever lasting.
Awarded an AM on the Queen’s Birthday honours list earlier this year, Shipway started his football journey with his beloved West Adelaide in 1985.
Starting as a board member with the Bloods, Shipway was quick to raise his stature with the red and black by taking on the role of Chairman in 1988 and 1989 before his Presidency at Milner Road from 1990 to 1994.
True to Shipway’s seemingly endless energy to serve the game in SA, he decided to elevate his commitment to join the South Australian Football Commission in 1997, where he served until this year.
Along the way, Shipway served as Deputy Chairman of the SA Football Commission from 2012 to 2016 but it was his role as Chairman of the SA Community Football League where he truly shined.
Despite his standing in the game, ”Shippy” was always prepared to roll up the sleeves and clock up the kilometres by visiting an endless amount of Country Football Clubs, to assist them with their short and long-term viability.
“I represent a group of people who are the heart of our game,” Shipway told The Advertiser when he became a member of the Order of Australia (AM).
“What they do with our great game in the community is keep the game alive and their communities as well. They do more than I do. It never ceases to amaze me how important the game is to so many people and so many communities. We should never forget that.
“Our game is a great leveller where people from all walks of life and backgrounds can feel part of it, on or off the field. And I have been able to be a part of it with a very patient and understanding wife, Jan, and family.”
DAVID SHIPWAY AM
- Chairman, South Australian Community Football League, since 2009.
- Deputy Chairman, South Australian National Football League, 2012-2016;
- Commissioner,1997-2016; Life Member, 2008; Member, 1997-2016.
- Chairman, West Adelaide Football Club, 1988-1989; President, 1990-1994; Management Committee Member, 1985-1994; Life Member, 2000.
- Supporter of various local community organisations including: The Bedford Group.
- The Neil Sachse Foundation.
- Our Lady of La Vang School, Adelaide.
- Community and Corporate Ambassador, Can:Do 4Kids (supporting hearing and vision impaired children), current.
- President, Carbine Club of South Australia, 2007-2008, 2001-2002; Member, ‘for 27 years’.
- Managing Director, BL Shipway Pty Ltd, ‘for over 30 years’